How to Turn Off Touch Screen on Windows 10 – Microsoft has embedded a lot of features to Windows 10 to improve the user’s experience. One of the most convenient is the touchscreen support. This feature can work as the only input to the device as commonly found in Windows 10 tablets. It can also serve as a secondary input such as laptops or desktops. However, some users decide to disable this feature. How to turn off touch screen on Windows 10 correctly?
When the touchscreen is disabled in Windows 10 devices, it means you have chosen the traditional input methods compatible keyboards and mice. The procedure of turning off the touchscreen is pretty simple and it works the same in all Windows 10 devices.
How to Disable Touch Screen in Windows 10
The touchscreen feature in Windows 10 can be disabled through the Windows Device Manager. The manager can be accessed through the Control Panel. Alternatively, you can also find it from the search box. If you are not familiar with the device manager, it’s where the computer tracks all connected devices. Aside from the touchscreen, you can also disable or enable other devices here.
The following instruction is going to help you turn off touchscreen in Windows 10 devices:
- Navigate your pointer to search box on the taskbar, then type Device Manager.
- In the search result, click on Device Manager.
- You will see a list of connected devices to the computer. Scroll down and find Human Interface Devices. Click the arrow next to it.
- Choose the HID-compliant touch screen.
- Scroll up. Click on Action that you can find at the top of the window.
- In the drop-down menu, choose Disable Device.
- You will see a warning pops up on your screen. Click Yes to continue the procedure.
- Now your touchscreen is successfully disabled. You can try to swipe the screen and check if something happens.
Turning off the touchscreen is not suggested if your devices do not have alternative input methods. When your keyboard and mouse are not working properly, or when your tablets do not have a keyboard accessory, disabling the touchscreen prevents you from operating the devices or re-enabling the feature.
When you unintentionally disabled the functionality and the device does not offer other input methods, the only solution is finding other types of input devices. You can find a compatible keyboard or mouse that works properly on the devices so you can re-enable the touchscreen.
How to Enable Touch Screen in Windows 10
In many cases, Windows 10 users find that the touchscreen gives a much better experience than the traditional input method. Or else, some users realize that their devices commonly tablets don’t have alternative input devices other than the touchscreen functionality. Don’t worry! You have learned how to turn off touch screen Windows 10, so it’s time to find out how to bring it back.
Actually, the procedures to disable and enable the functionality is quite similar. The only difference is you need to choose Enable instead of Disable. But to make everything easier, you can follow the instructions below:
- Go to search box and type Device Manager.
- You will see a search result. Click on Device Manager.
- On a list of computer devices, navigate to Human Interface Devices and click the small arrow on the left side.
- Select an HID-compliant touch screen.
- Go to the top of the window and select Action.
- You will see a drop-down menu, choose Enable Device.
- Confirm your choice and touchscreen is successfully re-enabled.
The touchscreen functionality can be disabled and enabled at any time. But before disabling the touchscreen, make sure you have an alternative input method so the devices can work normally. The procedure of how to turn off touch screen on Windows 10 above also works well for Windows 8.